Wiki Diabetes "uncontrolled" in 2017 ICD-10 CM

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
B
Code: E11.65
Type 2 diabetes mellitus with hyperglycemia
Parent Code Notes: E11
Excludes1: diabetes mellitus due to underlying condition (E08.-)
drug or chemical induced diabetes mellitus (E09.-)
gestational diabetes (O24.4-)
neonatal diabetes mellitus (P70.2)
postpancreatectomy diabetes mellitus (E13.-)
postprocedural diabetes mellitus (E13.-)
secondary diabetes mellitus NEC (E13.-)
type 1 diabetes mellitus (E10.-)
Includes: diabetes (mellitus) due to insulin secretory defect
diabetes NOS
insulin resistant diabetes (mellitus)
Use additional code to identify control using:
insulin (Z79.4)
oral antidiabetic drugs (Z79.84)
oral hypoglycemic drugs (Z79.84)

Block Notes
Diabetes mellitus (E08-E13)

Coding Guidelines
Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00-E89)
Note: All neoplasms, whether functionally active or not, are classified in Chapter 2. Appropriate codes in this chapter (i.e. E05.8, E07.0, E16-E31, E34.-) may be used as additional codes to indicate either functional activity by neoplasms and ectopic endocrine tissue or hyperfunction and hypofunction of endocrine glands associated with neoplasms and other conditions classified elsewhere.
Excludes 1: transitory endocrine and metabolic disorders specific to newborn (P70-P74)
Best answers
Hi to all, I got the navigation regarding diabetes --Uncontrolled in Alpha index as below

- uncontrolled
- - meaning
- - - hyperglycemia -see Diabetes, by type, with, hyperglycemia
- - - hypoglycemia -see Diabetes, by type, with, hypoglycemia

According this navigation can I understand uncontrolled DM with higher levels of blood glucose (lab report) as DM with hyperglycemia vice versa for DM-hypoglycemia.?

I am dealing with ER coding and I came across a medical record with DM-uncontrolled diagnosis along with the blood sugar report as 282Mg/DL. Can I code the E11.65 for this visit.? Kindly share your knowledge regarding this.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 10

thomas7331

True Blue
Best answers
Coders can't interpret lab or test results, even when it's pretty obvious as in a case like this. The code should represent the documentation of the provider's own interpretation of the patient's condition.