Wiki Diabetes w/Kidney Complications

Lassal423

Best answers
I'm confused by the conversion on code 250.40. When I put it in the online converter tools, it lists E11.29 only. Then when I reverse the conversion (ICD-10 to ICD9) for E11.22, it also lists 250.40. I don't know why both E11.22 and E11.29 don't show up for conversion from 250.40.

Am I missing something? Has anyone seen this type of problem with the conversions?

Lora

It has to do with the 250.40 is not a specific code as to type of renal complication and the ICD-10 CM codes are more specific. You cannot rely on the converter programs to be correct.
For example:
for ICD-9 Cm if a patient returns presents to your provider to have sutures removed from a laceration repaired in the ER you would use code V58.32 if you use a mapping or converter program/tool then you get Z48.02 however that will be the incorrect code for ICD-10 CM.
For suture removal from a laceration repair in ICD-10 CM you code the laceration code with a 7th character D.
Also if you have a patient whose main issue is unhappiness and worries then most coders think of 311 which is depressive disorder and they will cross that to F32.9 Major depressive disorder , which not what the provider documented, instead there are codes in ICD-10 CM for unhappiness and worries that you will not find using a conversion program.
Just a few things to think about :)

Thanks Debra - your reply did get me looking into the various conversions a little differently.
Since DM is one of the areas greatly changed in ICD10, I'm trying to reconcile the difference between using these 2 codes:

E08.22 DM due to underlying condition with diabetic CKD

E11.22 Type 2 DM with diabetic CKD

Any ideas on interpretation of using one vs. the other?

Thanks again!
Lora

The E08 codes are secondary diabetes, these are for diabetes that is due to an underlying condition such as pancreatic cancer. Type 2 diabetes is a condition that is usually associated with a slowing down of the ability to metabolize carbs, or insulin resistence diabetes.
the E08, E09, and E13 codes are all equivalent to the 249 codes in ICD-9.

E11.22 is diabetic nephropathy when doctor specified the complication is a ckd and the stage of the ckd?
e11.29 is diabetic nephropathy but when doctor did nos specified or which is the nephropathy complication (is still unknown)