Wiki Diabetes with Manifestation

emcee101

Best answers
If a medical records states type 2 diabetes with ophthamalic manifestations, but does not state the specific manifestation, would you still code 250.50 or defer to 250.00 since the manifestation is not stated?

But the medical record states ophthalmic manifestation. Either code unspecified for the manifestation or better would be to quey to have the specific ophthalmic manifestation added. But you could not code the 250.00 since the documentation states the manifestation is present.

I'm an HCC coder and we've been taught that, yes, pick up the 250.50 and if the manifestation isn't stated, you don't have to code it. Your instincts are correct that the record said DM w/ ophthalmologic (sp?) manifestations - you code just that. That came up soooo many times. We had meetings and meetings and it was brought up a lot. I know the auditors said yes... I hope that's still true. :)

Rhonda,

Thank you for your response. I code HCCs as well and we are still going back and forth on this issue because we cannot find any hard evidence to support our decision. We are hoping that one of these charts could be submitted for RADV (we were chosen for national selection) but that is not one of the HCCs they are targeting.

Do you have anything that I can reference to support the decision to code the DM with manifestation instead of uncomplicated DM and the lower HCC?

Once we get to ICD-10-CM they will NEED to be queried if they don't specify the manifestation/complication. I looked at my I-10 and there is no code for Type 2 DM with Ophthalmic Manifestation, unknown type. Closest I can find is E11.39 but it has Use Additional Code to identify the manifestation so...

Correct Ben, this is also at the heart of the issue I have when coding for 250.50. It also has a "use additional code" note and if there is no manifestation noted in the medical record then it is impossible to use the additional code.

I am looking for a respectable reference that directs a coder, expecially for risk adjustment/RADV purposes, whether it is still valid to use 250.50 if you cannot code the manifestation, or if they should defer to code 250.00 when no specific manifestation is noted in the chart.

Thanks.

Thanks again. This gives an excellent list of possible manifestations, but what I need is something that supports the decision to code or not code the higher revenue HCC/ICD-9 code for DM with ophth. manifestation instead of uncomplicated diabetes. It seems that I am chasing a unicorn apparently :(

I appreciate your opinions, thanks again. From an HCC standpoint an unspecified code would fall off and may not support the HCC with the "MEAT" that we need. Since I work for a health plan doing retrospective chart audit/analysis I cannot query the provider. We refer to this as unecessary provider abrasion. Can't rock the boat for questions on documentation discrepancies.