Wiki Diabetes

First of the provider has to state what type of diabetes. Also, the provider will have to state that the lactic or metabolic acidosis is related to the diabetes to code it. If the relation is not stated these will have to billed seperatly.

First of the provider has to state what type of diabetes. Also, the provider will have to state that the lactic or metabolic acidosis is related to the diabetes to code it. If the relation is not stated these will have to billed separately.
ok, there is an excludes 1 note stating that the DM and E87.2 cannot be billed together so, which one needs to be used? I am confused as to the more I research it states that when the patient has acidosis and DM that it is E11.10 or E10.10.

ok, there is an excludes 1 note stating that the DM and E87.2 cannot be billed together so, which one needs to be used? I am confused as to the more I research it states that when the patient has acidosis and DM that it is E11.10 or E10.10.
The excludes note applies to diabetes with ketoacidosis, not lactic acidosis - it's ketoacidosis that is coded as E10.10 or E11.10 with a presumed causal relationship when the patient has diabetes.

But these are two different forms of acidosis which can be related, but lactic acidosis is not necessarily caused by diabetes. If there is no causal relationship documented and both conditions are present, then you can code the E87.2 and the diabetes together, per the ICD-10 guidance on the Excludes1 note. You can also query the physician if the relationship is not clear from the documentation.

The excludes note applies to diabetes with ketoacidosis, not lactic acidosis - it's ketoacidosis that is coded as E10.10 or E11.10 with a presumed causal relationship when the patient has diabetes.

But these are two different forms of acidosis which can be related, but lactic acidosis is not necessarily caused by diabetes. If there is no causal relationship documented and both conditions are present, then you can code the E87.2 and the diabetes together, per the ICD-10 guidance on the Excludes1 note. You can also query the physician if the relationship is not clear from the documentation.
ok, thank you very much