Wiki Diabetic foot infection???

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: E11.621

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Type 2 diabetes mellitus with foot ulcer

Block: Diabetes mellitus (E08-E13)

Details: Type 2 diabetes mellitus with foot ulcer

Use additional code to identify site of ulcer (L97.4-, L97.5-)

E11

Use additional code to identify control using:insulin (Z79.4)
oral antidiabetic drugs (Z79.84)
oral hypoglycemic drugs (Z79.84)

Includes: diabetes (mellitus) due to insulin secretory defect
diabetes NOS
insulin resistant diabetes (mellitus)

Excludes1: diabetes mellitus due to underlying condition (E08.-)
drug or chemical induced diabetes mellitus (E09.-)
gestational diabetes (O24.4-)
neonatal diabetes mellitus (P70.2)
postpancreatectomy diabetes mellitus (E13.-)
postprocedural diabetes mellitus (E13.-)
secondary diabetes mellitus NEC (E13.-)
type 1 diabetes mellitus (E10.-)

Guidelines: Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00-E89)

Excludes 1: transitory endocrine and metabolic disorders specific to newborn (P70-P74)

Note: All neoplasms, whether functionally active or not, are classified in Chapter 2. Appropriate codes in this chapter (i.e. E05.8, E07.0, E16-E31, E34.-) may be used as additional codes to indicate either functional activity by neoplasms and ectopic endocrine tissue or hyperfunction and hypofunction of endocrine glands associated with neoplasms and other conditions classified elsewhere.

For more details on E11.621, ICD-10 Code for Type 2 diabetes mellitus with foot ulcer , visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/

keke74

Guru
Best answers
Hello all. I need help on which dx would be best for the following scenario. Pt has cut to foot & now has diabetic foot infection. Nothing specific as to what type of infection such as Cellulitis, gangrene, Osteomyelitis, etc. Would dx 250.80 & 686.9 be sufficient for this scenario or any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
Hello all. I need help on which dx would be best for the following scenario. Pt has cut to foot & now has diabetic foot infection. Nothing specific as to what type of infection such as Cellulitis, gangrene, Osteomyelitis, etc. Would dx 250.80 & 686.9 be sufficient for this scenario or any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Is it possible to have the physician's word for word documentation for this? It will be helpful. I do not agree with the 892.x code but I am not sure I agree with the 686.9 either. Seeing how it is documented in the note will be very helpful.