Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy Dx code.

Rachel042807

Best answers
Looking to see if anyone knows the correct Dx for Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy.

I see in ICD 10 data.com the synonym for that code is, or can be, E11.42 this is the code I really want to use, but I want to make sure it is correct as my providers are not specifying polyneuropathy vs mononeuropathy . All i have to go off of is the Diabectic peripheral neuropathy and diminished pulses from my exam.
I do feel this is more than a E11.40, but I need some opinions on this code . This one gets me all the time.
I also thought about going with E11.49. Any opinions on this matter are greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Rachel CPC, CBCS

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look in the alphabetical index under diabetes/diabetic with neuropathy it is E11.40 (type 2 DM with diabetic neuropathy, unspecified). You cannot go with E11.42 because that is specifically with polyneuropathy which is not documented.
E11.49 is also incorrect because there is no 'other diabetic neurological complication' documented.

If you look in the alphabetical index under diabetes/diabetic with neuropathy it is E11.40 (type 2 DM with diabetic neuropathy, unspecified). You cannot go with E11.42 because that is specifically with polyneuropathy which is not documented.
E11.49 is also incorrect because there is no 'other diabetic neurological complication' documented.
Thank you for the information. I was trying to associate the peripheral never as a specific vs unspecified. also our encoder takes us to the E11.42 but I sure did see the book did not go that way. That is why this always trips me up. Thank you for your time to respond and get me back on the right track :)
Rachel