Wiki Diagnois For Central Lines, Replacement Tubing

kblevins

Best answers
:confused: I WORK FOR RADIOLOGY AND WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CODE
FOR CHEST XRAYS FOR CENTRAL LINES, NG TUBING AS THE DIAGNOIS PART
BUT IT KEEPS GETTING KICKED OUT. THE ONLY THING WE CAN FIND IS
IN THE HCPCS BOOK UNDER NG TUBING BUT THIS ISN'T A DIAGNOIS.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE RIGHT DIAGNOIS CODE FOR THIS. THE REPORTS ONLY MENTIONS DOING THESE PROCEDURES TO MAKE SURE THE TUBING IS IN THE RIGHT POSITION. THE CPT CODE IS 71010 OR 71020
THANKS KBLEVINS

Hi. I code for a radiology group as well. When we code for x-rays to check placement of tubes, we use the diagnosis why the tube was needed.
For example, Respiratory distress for intubation or cancer for a central line.
Make sense? I typically use V58.8x depending on the type that was done, as a secondary dx..
Hope that helps.
Heidi

Hi. I code for a radiology group as well. When we code for x-rays to check placement of tubes, we use the diagnosis why the tube was needed.
For example, Respiratory distress for intubation or cancer for a central line.
Make sense? I typically use V58.8x depending on the type that was done, as a secondary dx..
Hope that helps.
Heidi
THANKS HEIDI THIS DOES HELP ON SOME OF THEM BUT MOST OF THE TIME IT COMES THROUGH WITHOUT A DIAGNOIS OR REASON. IT WILL STATE LIKE
REPLACEMENT OF TUBING OR CENTRAL LINE. I GUESS WE WILL HAVE TO
GO BACK AND SEARCH FOR MORE INFO. WHICH AS YOU KNOW THIS IS VERY TIME CONSUMING. THANKS AGAIN THIS WILL HELP
KAREN

Karen
You may also need to look into the Complication codes for a DX. Many times the tubes do not operate properly or have a mechanical problem or even may develop an infection. So unfortunately, yes you do need more info.
Good luck.
Heidi