Wiki Diagnosis for onset labor

According to ACOG, preterm labor is defined as regular contractions associated with cervical change before 37 weeks' gestation. Therefore at 38.6 weeks the patient would be considered term and there is no diagnosis code for term labor. The code O47.1 can be reported for false labor after 37 weeks. If there are no other complications and she delivers, you would report only the O80 code for a normal birth.
transparent.gif

What diagnoses code I can use for patient had onset labor at 38.6 weeks?
According to ACOG, preterm labor is defined as regular contractions associated with cervical change before 37 weeks' gestation. Therefore at 38.6 weeks the patient would be considered term and there is no diagnosis code for term labor. The code O47.1 can be reported for false labor after 37 weeks. If there are no other complications and she delivers, you would report only the O80 code for a normal birth.

I was thinking to assign for false labor , but the physician did not indicate the diagnose in documentation. So I cannot assume it was for false labor. My department CDI suggested me to code it as encounter service since patient didnt have other complication.

I would agree that is your only choice in this case. The encounter, from a physician billing perspective might not even be paid if she was considered term with no other complications.