Wiki Diastolic function grade 1 ICD 10 help

Mnmark442

Networker
Best answers
Hi,

I code echo reports and I was advised if I ever see a grade 1-4 for diastolic function to code as I50.30, however after some research I do see some threads that list I51.89. I was told since a grade is mentioned I could code the I50.30. Does this seem correct?

I have similar issues with Systolic dysfunction and if that should be coded as I50.20.

Any help/advise is appreciated.

Thank you
Michelle

I think that coding I50.20 and I50.30 are correct. When I code this from an encoder, it does not prompt for grade level. I found as follows:

Failure -> Heart -> Search for type -> Diastolic -> Diastolic Heart Failure (other/unspecified) -> I50.30 Unspecified Diastolic (congestive) Heart Failure
This is the same track for Systolic, with the exception that you will end with I50.20 Unspecified (congestive) Heart Failure

Per the coding handbook, I50.89 is to be used with there is heart dysfunction, but it is not stated as to what type of dysfunction.

Hi,

I code echo reports and I was advised if I ever see a grade 1-4 for diastolic function to code as I50.30, however after some research I do see some threads that list I51.89. I was told since a grade is mentioned I could code the I50.30. Does this seem correct?

I have similar issues with Systolic dysfunction and if that should be coded as I50.20.

Any help/advise is appreciated.

Thank you
Michelle
I think you mean to say 'dysfunction', not 'function', is that correct?

I think you were told incorrectly on this - the I50 codes are for a diagnosis of heart failure. Dysfunction is not the same as failure. I'm not aware of any guidance that would allow you to assume for coding purposes that a patient has heart failure if the provider has only documented 'dysfunction'. Following the alphabetic index in ICD-10, the only code that's available for heart dysfunction is I51.89.

This is true. Poster - was there clear documentation of heart failure?
I think you mean to say 'dysfunction', not 'function', is that correct?

I think you were told incorrectly on this - the I50 codes are for a diagnosis of heart failure. Dysfunction is not the same as failure. I'm not aware of any guidance that would allow you to assume for coding purposes that a patient has heart failure if the provider has only documented 'dysfunction'. Following the alphabetic index in ICD-10, the only code that's available for heart dysfunction is I51.89.