Wiki discharge mgmt

penguins11

Best answers
I have kind of a strange situation. One of my dr's saw a patient in the hospital, he was the admitting physician and provided care throughout his stay. The patient had a back fracture and was due to be discharged on 01/03/12. The dr. saw the patient in the am and was going to discharge him and was making arrangements for the patient's discharge. Before the patient could be discharged he suddenly coded and died very unexpectedly from an unrelated condition for his admit. (sudden pulmonary embolism). Can I still bill for discharge management? If not what can I bill if anything?

I have kind of a strange situation. One of my dr's saw a patient in the hospital, he was the admitting physician and provided care throughout his stay. The patient had a back fracture and was due to be discharged on 01/03/12. The dr. saw the patient in the am and was going to discharge him and was making arrangements for the patient's discharge. Before the patient could be discharged he suddenly coded and died very unexpectedly from an unrelated condition for his admit. (sudden pulmonary embolism). Can I still bill for discharge management? If not what can I bill if anything?

Did your physician pronounce the death? If so...

E. Hospital Discharge Management and Death Pronouncement

Only the physician who personally performs the pronouncement of death shall bill for the face-to-face Hospital Discharge Day Management Service, CPT code 99238 or 99239. The date of the pronouncement shall reflect the calendar date of service on the day it was performed even if the paperwork is delayed to a subsequent date.

Page 61

http://www.cms.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c12.pdf