Wiki Distal radius fracture

nabernhardt

Best answers
I am thinking 25608 as the xrays report an intra-articular fx. But am not sure about the fixation of 2 segments?
PROCEDURE: The patient was taken to the OR and placed in a supine position. General
endotracheal intubation achieved without complication. Left upper extremity was prepped and draped in a normal sterile fashion. A volar approach was utilized. Skin flaps elevated.
Hemostasis achieved with a Bovie. The radial artery and nerve were identified and retracted and protected at all times. The FCR tendon reflected and the quadratus lifted off the subperiosteal fracture and exposed. The fracture was reduced and held temporarily with a K-wire. We used the Biomet OptiLock to secure the fracture. We used two 3.5 bicortical screw fixation of the shaft and then multidirectional fully threaded screws that were locked went into the distal radius fracture, using live fluoro to make sure that we did not get into the joint space. The fracture was reduced anatomically. A plate provided rigid fixation. Closed the subcu with 0 Monocryl and running 3-0 Prolene closed the skin. Sterile dressings applied and a splint. Patient taken to the recovery room.

i was still working on this one but was re-reading the op note and states "using live fluoro to make sure that we did not get into the joint space."

and then found this was posted by another in regards to these codes
the doctor would have to document whether fixation is being done in the joint(25608,25609) or on the joint surface(25607). Also, dr would have to specify how many fragments of bone in the joint received internal fixation to know if you should use 25608 or 25609.
I hope that helped.

so would I be on the right track since this would be considered on the joint surface 25607?
or would i need to query physician?

thank you