Wiki DM with comorbidities

cwmiusa

New
Best answers
I have physicians asking how to document all the DM with comorbidities diagnoses. If a patient has DM with hyperglycemia, DM with neuropathy and DM with retinopathy, should they list all; E11.65, E11.40 and 11.319 or just pick one. They complain that listing them all is cumbersome and clutters their problem list. They all map to the same HCC so is it important to list all or is only one counted? Thank you for assisting with clarification.

I have physicians asking how to document all the DM with comorbidities diagnoses. If a patient has DM with hyperglycemia, DM with neuropathy and DM with retinopathy, should they list all; E11.65, E11.40 and 11.319 or just pick one. They complain that listing them all is cumbersome and clutters their problem list. They all map to the same HCC so is it important to list all or is only one counted? Thank you for assisting with clarification.

It's proper coding to code for all the DM manifestations. (Whether or not you can get that across to your physicians is another story.)

Don't forget that they don't all map to the same HCCs. Some of the DM codes capture 2 HCC categories. For example, E11.51 will map to 18 and 108. If they don't bother adding the E11.51 because they already added E11.65, then they'll miss out on capturing HCC 108.

Thank you. And yes, I've tried to get this across to the point where I was second guessing myself and that is why I asked. Appreciate your support.