Wiki ? DM2 with Erectile Dysfunction

ED is not linked to DM2 by 'with' in the index, so you would use E11.9 unless the documentation specifically says that the ED is a complication due to the diabetes. If the provider has stated that this is a complication of the DM2, then I would use E11.69. ED is not classified as a disease of the circulatory system, so I don't believe that E11.59 would be correct.

Agreed, the provider has to make the link for us, if the manifestation is not explicitly listed in the Index.

Per OPTUM 360 ICD-10 CM Expert book, page 4:

With

The word “with” or “in” should be interpreted to mean “associated with” or “due to” when it appears in a code title, the Alphabetic Index (either under a main term or subterm), or an instructional note in the Tabular List. The classification presumes a causal relationship between the two conditions linked by these terms in the Alphabetic Index or Tabular List. These conditions should be coded as related even in the absence of provider documentation explicitly linking them, unless the documentation clearly states the conditions are unrelated or when another guideline exists that specifically requires a documented linkage between two conditions (e.g., sepsis guideline for “acute organ dysfunction that is not clearly associated with the sepsis”). ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting FY 2019 Page 13 of 120 For conditions not specifically linked by these relational terms in the classification or when a guideline requires that a linkage between two conditions be explicitly documented, provider documentation must link the conditions in order to code them as related. The word “with” in the Alphabetic Index is sequenced immediately following the main term, not in alphabetical order.

Can also be found online:

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/ICD10/Downloads/2019-ICD10-Coding-Guidelines-.pdf

I have an encounter where the provider documents, Erectile Dysfunction due to DM. It is clearly linked. As in the first post, would it be E11.69 or E11.59?

I have an encounter where the provider documents, Erectile Dysfunction due to DM. It is clearly linked. As in the first post, would it be E11.69 or E11.59?
Because Erectile Dysfunction can be caused by several different physiological conditions other than circulatory problems (Parkinson's, psychosexual issues, cholesterol etc) it would be incorrect to use E11.59. The correct codes would be E11.69, N52.1 (ED due to diseases classified elsewhere).