Wiki dmazura

dmazura

Best answers
Please help - Anyone who codes for pathology for the professional component. Do you code a diagnosis for every specimen the pathologist examines? Can anyone direct me to a guideline that states that? Or do you follow ICD-9 guidelines to sequence first the diagnosis,condition,problem, or other reason for the encounter shown in the medical record to be chiefly responsible for the service provided during the visit. Does pathology diagnosis coding have a different guideline to follow? Thanks so much for any help.

http://library.ahima.org/xpedio/groups/public/documents/ahima/bok2_000466.hcsp?dDocName=bok2_000466

I am replying to this old post so that others won't have to spend the time researching this question. Go to the above link and scroll down and read the following 3 sections.
Specific Outpatient Coding Guidelines
Encounters for Diagnostic Services
Encounters for Ancillary Tests

This is not a "new" document but the principal still stands. ICD-10 guidelines should be consulted once we get to 10/14. I have struggled and struggled with this and "thought" I was doing it correctly but always questioned myself.