Wiki Do you code an e/m with fracture care

Denise

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I just wanted some feed back from other coders. If the patient comes into the office on the Advice of thier primary doctor and the orthopaedics doctor says its a fracture and treats accordingly. Do you code only the cpt code or do you code both the cpt and e/m? thanks in advance..

I just wanted some feed back from other coders. If the patient comes into the office on the Advice of thier primary doctor and the orthopaedics doctor says its a fracture and treats accordingly. Do you code only the cpt code or do you code both the cpt and e/m? thanks in advance..

If my memory serves me correctly... you get one "lump" payment for fracture care. It's been awhile since I've actually coded for fracture care, you could check cpt assistant for any updated info though.

Fracture care only, no E/M. If casting is performed you can code for the supplies only on the date you code fracture care. Any cast changes after that are separately reportable along with supplies. Hope that helps.

Its usually cast care only especially if the patient is coming back for rechecks. If the doctor is just doing the repairs and the patient is not coming back you can code for both. When I worked in a ortho place we did actually did both office visit and fracture treatment if the notes held enough information for both.