Wiki Do you use 99499 on a surgical follow up??

jennipapp

Best answers
ok, I'm new at this.

I have a child that is being seen in his post op period for his surgical follow up (tonsillectomy). I'm not sure exactly how to code this.

I know I should use the 99024 post op follow up CPT, but do I add the 99499 unlisted e&m? and should I use V67.09 follow up to surgery, other , diagnosis code?? :confused:

Aftecare

Read your ICD GL about Aftercare vs F/up.
The scenario you described is aftercare and the ICD 9 should be v58.74.
Unless their is a seperate identifiable service, you should not use any E&M. There are some exceptions for the use of 99499 depending on what kind of database you use. In DoD we use 99499 as a placeholder in order for our accounts to transmit. If you don't need a "placeholder" you shouldn't code 99499.
Melissa

The post-op service is included in the cost of the surgery so you are not actually "billing" anything to the insurance company. We use 99024 and the diagnosis for the surgery with V67.00 as a secondary diagnosis. For example if the patient had a Gallbladder removed, the post op visits would be coded as 99024 (0 charge amount) with a diagnosis of 574.20 and V67.00. This service doesn't actually get billed out to anyone though.