Wiki Doctor taking home the mail with the ins cks

sky

Best answers
my doctor & his wife are constantly getting the mail & taking it home along with the insurance & patient payments. is there anything legally wrong with this? I've asked them several times not to do this because they always seem to forget them & I'm checking status on clms already paid & phone calls from patients getting stmts for balances that they have already paid or why hasn't their check cleared the bank yet. a couple of weeks ago, the wife found checks from april in her laptop case. I spent 2 days calling the insurance companies to get the checks reissued. most of them expired after 90 days. they do this ALL the time. then i get grief from the doctor about the a/r. i pushed for electronic deposits but they didn't want to hear it. it's to the point that it is getting out of hand. all i ever get from the both of them is that they own the practice & they can do what they want. does anyone know or can direct me to something that can help me. it's just not funny or cute anymore.

Unfortunately you cannot help those that will not help themselves. All you can do weekly or monthly reports of outstanding a/r due to checks that have been mailed but you do not have. Request daily if they have any checks from yesterday's mail for you to post. Make a sign and put it on their desk " got checks"? If they do not allow you first access to the mail to sort out the payments there is nothing legally you can do. It is their practice and they can run it into ruin or they can have flourish.

I was afraid you were going to say that. Well, I had to put the question out there. Thank you for your answer.

I have experienced this with the office manager doing this on the days I am not here. I have managed to get the front desk people to pull my carrier and patient checks and put them in my bin when they bring the mail in. But I agree, it is their practice and there isn't much you can do except print out those reports and point out how much extra work and delays it causes when they take them home or "lose" those payments.