Wiki Documentation Improvement - CRC exam

jrodriquez

Best answers
Good Afternoon, I have attempted my CRC exam twice and have come really, really close. I keep falling "short" in the area of "Documentation Improvement" I have the study guide (well, partially. Chapters 6-11) Is there any "hope for me"? I have read all the materials I have and all of my scores have improved except this "area of focus". Any Suggestions? Can someone possibly "elaborate" on what exactly Documentation Improvement regards? Any and All words of advice and encouragement are very welcomed and appreciated.

Jose' D.S. Rodriquez RMA, CPC (hopefully future CRC)

I recently passed the CPC, and have my sights set on the CRC or COC...keep ur head up! I passed the CPC on my first try b/c I was really prepared. I knew my manuals, I had good notes in my books, and I done practice tests over and over. I used the AAPC CPC Study Guide, and when I read a question on the test, I would smile to myself b/c I had practiced that specific question. Please don’t take my comment as me being cocky, b/c I’m not. It was the good Lord above that helped me that day. What I’m trying to say, maybe wait a few months before you schedule the next exam. Give yourself time to collect material from online, read all you can! I googled free questions online and practiced. Keep practicing, get the AAPC Study Guide, and read every page and do all the questions, even if u get the questions correct- still read the rationale! Best wishes to you, keep the faith!
Sheena N Kilburn, CPC

I took the CRC exam for the second time yesterday, and failed again. My lowest score was 'Documentation Improvement'. Questions were vague and most not directly related to the study material. Would like advice on where I can find additional study material on this section for examp prep. Thank you.

It's usually basic stuff missing or not clear:
Documentation Barriers:
Illegible
Signatures, credentials missing or not acceptable
Insufficient documentation
Inferring a diagnosis from a lab report but it's not in the note
Acute versus Chronic not stated
Signs and symptoms/uncertain but doesn't match other parts of the note that might be definitive.
Not stating in the documentation highest specificity
Just typing an ICD-10 code but not using actual words for the diagnosis in the note

Resources:
Highly recommend this book: Risk Adjustment Documentation & Coding, 2nd Edition (Sheri Poe Bernard)

I have worked in Risk adjustment for almost 6 years. I have my CPC, CDEO, CPMA, CRC, and COSC. I am looking into being a certified CRC-Instructor. I would be happy to help with tutoring. If you're interested, please send PM.