Wiki Documentation of Co-Existing Conditions

Best answers
What type of documentation am I looking for to justify the code assignment of secondary/co-existing conditions? I am well aware of the coding guideline, i.e. "Code all documented conditions that coexist at the time of the encounter/visit, and require or affect patient care treatment or management." , however, Patient's CC is "cough" but the second, third diagnosis in the assessment is hyperlipidemia/hypertension. How do I confirm the latter "affected care or management" of the cough??? Or are the coding guidelines purposefully vague? (I know, loaded question)

HI,

Basically Cough is sign and symptoms and hyperlipidemia/hypertension is condition it is not related to Cough, so 786.2 (cough) enough to code report, if you are coded Radiology, yes you can give 272.4,401.9 as secondary and third diagnosis,

Regards,
Balamurugan M

What type of documentation am I looking for to justify the code assignment of secondary/co-existing conditions? I am well aware of the coding guideline, i.e. "Code all documented conditions that coexist at the time of the encounter/visit, and require or affect patient care treatment or management." , however, Patient's CC is "cough" but the second, third diagnosis in the assessment is hyperlipidemia/hypertension. How do I confirm the latter "affected care or management" of the cough??? Or are the coding guidelines purposefully vague? (I know, loaded question)
If the secondary conditions affect the treatment of the patient, the provider would have addressed them in the context of the note. If they are not addressed and are not considered true co-morbid conditions then we do not code them. A true co-morbid condition is one that complicates the management of the presenting condition.