Wiki Documenting the use of CBD Oil

slc112071

Networker
Best answers
Could you please give me your opinions on the documentation of the use of CBD oil in a physician's office note in Texas, where the use of Marijuana is illegal? Should the physician stay neutral and not mention it at all, or document that the patient uses it?

CBD Oil

Could you please give me your opinions on the documentation of the use of CBD oil in a physician's office note in Texas, where the use of Marijuana is illegal? Should the physician stay neutral and not mention it at all, or document that the patient uses it?

"CBD oil is not illegal, THC is what's illegal and the CBD oil does not contain it, well at least it shouldn't. I would think the dr. has documented it to see the effects of the patient if it does or doesn't help. I say it will at least with the discomfort the patient might have."

I am not sure why this is even an issue. We should never have any say over what a provider documents. If the provider feels it is important then they will document it. CBD oil would be no different that documenting the use of fish oil or St. Johns wart. CBD oil is an extract from a plant. Pure CBD oil is not illegal in any state. You can buy it off the shelf anywhere. Even in Texas you can purchase CBD oil in a store or have it shipped. But lets get to the issue at hand. Whether to document or not. The provider will document any issue or substance application/use they feel is pertinent to the health and well being of the patient. We code that which is pertinent to the insurance to communicate risk and convey a reimbursement request for services rendered. we should never interfere with what or how a provider documents for any patient. So he or she documents the patient uses CBD oil. what does that mean for coding? absolutely nothing! You don't bat an eye when you see "uses fish oil" so why are you questioning "uses CBD oil"? there is no code for it, it does nothing to a patient risk factor that the payer would need to be concerned over.

Though the vast majority of CBD oils only contains a tiny percentage of THC (there is currently one brand THC free), it is still illegal in Texas unless you have a legal prescription for it. Those caught with and prosecuted for having CBD oil can face a felony possession charge. At this time, the officials are not pursuing those with CBD oil, including those selling it. However, it is still illegal to have in one's possession.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...9i70i251j0i131j33i160j33i22i29i30.v5NRn55Jl5s

I suspect the doctor is concerned about documenting something that could be used as evidence in a felony conviction (if he is unwilling to prescribe it). Whether he choices to document this, or any information that could lead to a felony conviction ie other drug use, is a decision only he can make. It really comes down to a risk/benefit equation that only the doctor has insight into.

Last edited:
Just so you know..."The KRIS 6 News Fact Check team looked in to it, and yes, it is legal to buy, sell and possess CBD oil in Texas". (from the link posted above) But perhaps this is the wrong forum to use to debate the issue of CBD oil being legal.