Wiki Does it require the doctors signature

Marla K

Contributor
Best answers
We currently use electronic medical records for the patients chart but still have paper superbills that are used when the patient is seen by the doctor for billing reasons and proof the patient was there. What is the rule regarding if the doctor has to sign the superbill after patient is seen? Is he suppose to or not? We have created new superbills and he is currently signing them but they want to know if they need to include a place for his signature. I told them I wasn't for sure and I would try to find out. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marla K :confused:

Not a superbill

A superbill is a billing document--I've never seen a physician sign a superbill ever. I do believe only the medical record documentation (paper or EMR electronic signature)

From what I understand is that the CMS1500 is the only one that needs to be signed. As for proof the patient was there; the patient checks in and signs in on a log sheet and at that point collect any co-pays. If the person is a new patient then having them sign the HIPPA privacy act is also proof. Hope this help out.