Wiki Does the "4 week" guideline for myocardial infarctions also apply to strokes?

MBStone

New
Best answers
Does the "4 week" guideline for myocardial infarctions also apply to strokes?

In section C.9.e.1 of the ICD-10 guidelines, it says "For encounters occurring while the myocardial infarction is equal to, or less than, four weeks old, including transfers to another acute setting or postacute setting, and the myocardial infarction meets the definition for "other diagnoses" (see Section III, Reporting Additional Diagnoses), codes from category I21 may continue to be reported" but that after four weeks you should use the aftercare codes. My question is: Does this apply to cerebral infarctions as well? I ask because I have a case that seems to meet the requirements for continuing to report I21 for a myocardial infarction, but it's a cerebral infarction rather than an MI, and I'm not sure if I should still be using I63.- or not.

That guideline is specific to MI coding. The rule of thumb from my understanding is that for cerebral infarction it is no long coded as acute once the patient is discharged from the acute care or ICU setting. After that you use history or sequela codes.