Wiki DOS

afryberger

Networker
Best answers
Hello, I really need everyone help. I bill for professional side of radiology. In the hospital system has there report from the provider. At the top it has a DOS, then at the bottom is a dictation date and signed date. What date do you use when you send it to the insurance. I have always used the DOS at the top because this is his interpretation of x-ray. Its not stating this is the DOS the x-rays were done. The physical x rays would have there own DOS on them. I also use the DOS at the top for when our cardiology read the EKGS at the hospital. Am I wrong? I work for a new billing company and no one believes me. Does anyone have any documentation about DOS?

Just in case that link goes bad at some point (I've had it happen to me)...

Typically, radiology services have two separate components: a professional and technical component. These services will have a PC/TC indicator of “1” on the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) Relative Value File. The technical component is billed on the date the patient had the test performed. When billing a global service, the provider can submit the professional component with a date of service reflecting when the review and interpretation is completed or can submit the date of service as the date the technical component was performed. This will allow ease of processing for both Medicare and the supplemental payers. If the provider did not perform a global service and instead performed only one component, the date of service for the technical component would the date the patient received the service and the date of service for the professional component would be the date the review and interpretation is completed.

I understand I'm going to have two DOS. What i don't understand is on the actual report from the provider, which are we to use. This is what we were told: 11. Date of service should be considered from Signed/drafted date which is given at the bottom of the report and all the modifier should be append on the basis of Signed/drafted date. Don’t take exam date as date of service. I have never heard of this. Films have there own DOS. The report is the interpretation and report, so it would be the exam date. I feel crazy.