Wiki Double Cervix with double hysteroscope

Best answers
I am trying to find out if a patient has cervical duplication and a diagnostic hysteroscopy is performed, would you report two separate CPT codes for this since the hysteroscopy had to be performed two different times on each cervix/uterus?

Thanks!

I would imagine billing colposcopy twice would simply result in a denial of the 2nd code as a duplicate. My recommendation would be to bill once with -22. The modifier -22 description is:
Increased Procedural services: When the work required to provide a service is substantially greater than typically required, it may be identified by adding modifier 22 to the usual procedure code. Documentation must support the substantial additional work and the reason for the additional work (ie, increased intensity, time, technical difficulty of procedure, severity of patient's condition, physical and mental effort required).

Hope this helps!

Hello cortneyfigurell,

I have ran into this situation before when coding; the patient had two cervix and two uterus so we billed the hysteroscopy procedure twice applying modifier 59 (or try XS) to the second CPT code along with the congenital abnormality DX. Insurance requested the notes for review and ended up paying the second hysteroscopy. If this patient has two cervix and one uterus I agree with coding one hysteroscopy procedure with modifier 22.