Wiki Draining an abdominal abscess

fwnewbie

Best answers
Is it common to attempt to drain an abdominal abscess due to diverticulitis by aspiration? It seems to me if there's an abscess, the integrity of the intestine is compromised and an open procedure would be more prudent.

Hi! It depends on the state of the Pt. If the abscess is accessible and the Pt has multiple medical concerns, a complicated surgical history and is already in a frail state, it is possible to try an aspiration. I’ve seen docs do a drain and IV antibiotics instead of full blown surgery for diverticulitis with an abscess and also for Gallbladder issues. It’s less invasive and less opportunity for infection.

I don't think she has any major health issues and by the time they did multiple CT's with contrast, her kidneys quit. After they tried the needle aspiration, they went for laproscopic, nicked the bowel, and had to go open so she ended up with temporary colostomy and was in the hospital for a month. Now her midline incision is healing my primary intention but her kidneys are waking back up and she's trying hard to eat and drink to get her strength back. It just seems like they took a risky path with a healthy person. :/