Wiki dressing change

sstone

Best answers
Hi......I have a provider who did a I&D for a lesion in the office a few days ago. The wick was left in for drainage. The patient is coming in today for a dressing change. Is there a code to bill for the dressing change done in the office w/local anesthesia. I know there's a code out there for a dressing change under anesthesia (15852) or is this not a billable procedure? :confused: The patient has United Healthcare. I appreciate any help.

thanks,
Sharon

I know the I&D codes have a 10 day global. If this dressing change was done within that global period, then it would not be billable. If it was not done during a global period, then I would use an E&M code.

Non I&D dressing changes

I have a situation where our patients come in for wound care, dressing changes on any and all types of wounds. I have been told that I cannot use 97602 for these types of encounters because these codes are only for services provided by Physical/Occupational Therapists. I have been told that these should be coded with an E/M code; but only wound assesment and dressing changes are happening.

Is this accurate information I am receiving? :confused:

I have a smillar situation the patient comes in every other day for repacking and sometimes I and Ds. I am not sure what to code and if repacking goes in the global period.

Rebecca