Wiki Drug exposure

I don't think that information is specific enough to be able to assign a code - 'exposed to drugs' isn't really meaningful out of context. Did the child experience some toxic or adverse effect of a drug? Was it inhaled or ingested? I think you'd need to share more information and context about what the provider is diagnosing the patient with in order to get to the coding here.

The father is requesting the blood work because he knows the children were exposed by mom's house. He is not sure what drugs they were all exposed to. Sorry .

This is very vague - it's not really clear what they're looking for or what kind of exposure they suspect if this is all you have to go on. I guess you could use Z77.29 - Contact with and (suspected) exposure to other hazardous substances. Otherwise, the only choice I can think of for this is Z04.89 - Encounter for examination and observation for other specified reasons. I would probably add a code from the Z63 category to show the issue with the family/living situation. Not very good codes to support medical necessity, but then neither is the documentation - if the child does not exhibit any signs or symptoms of a problem, then the medical necessity is going to be questionable to a payer.

Last edited:
Yes the provider tried to tell Dad unless showing any type of symptom, insurance will not pay. But Dad is insisting blood work be done.
Thank you so much!