Wiki drug management for 2021 MDM

mnuhfer04

Networker
Best answers
If the provider states that the patient is to continue meds as directed and to see EMR for refills, would this be considered prescription drug management? (last column in MDM table). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I think it depends on the documentation. If it is clear in the documentation that the provider reviewed with the patient how that medication is working and then states to remain on it with no changes, I would count that as management. If the medication is not discussed at all other than to state continue, I'm not sure the documentation supports actual management of the prescription.

Hope that helps!

Leesa A. Israel, BA, CPC, CUC, CEMC, CPPM, CMBS, AAPC MACRA Proficient
Head of Publishing, Editorial & Technology
AAPC

I think it depends on the documentation. If it is clear in the documentation that the provider reviewed with the patient how that medication is working and then states to remain on it with no changes, I would count that as management. If the medication is not discussed at all other than to state continue, I'm not sure the documentation supports actual management of the prescription.

Hope that helps!

Leesa A. Israel, BA, CPC, CUC, CEMC, CPPM, CMBS, AAPC MACRA Proficient
Head of Publishing, Editorial & Technology
AAPC
That is pretty much what I was thinking as well, I just wanted to get another persons perspective. Thank you!
Marissa