Wiki DSM-IV to ICD-9

deyoung

Guru
Best answers
Hi, I can't seem to find a nice pocket-sized ICD-9 resource for my physicians. 1 of them gave me a laminated booklet of DSM-IV...not sure where this came from. Most of the DSM-IV seem to crosswalk, but I rather give the Drs ICD-9 since they need to bill with that. Any thoughts? Any resources you can point me to where I can get a pocket-sized booklet of Psych ICD-9s? Should I just give them the DSM-IV booklet?

Thanks!

I know someone did one in the late 90s. However, obviously that's out of date.

Why not make your own and get it laminated at the UPS store or Kinko's? If you craft one, I'd happily take a copy!

Thanks for the chuckle, Kevin. I wish I had the time to put together something...when I do I'll be sure to get you a copy. :)

MD handwriting

1073358 suggests: Why dont they just write out what the dx's are?

Okay ... I admit this is somewhat off topic ... once had a physician whose handwriting left a LOT to be desired. His scribbles were often the topic of much head scratching and collaborative effort among the staff.

One day I got a billing sheet from him with a patient name that looked like HART or HURT or KURT or KORT or KANT or ... I tried every possibility. I even called hospital med records to see if they could figure out a patient with any name remotely like this on the 4th floor on this date of service. No luck.
Finally I went and asked him, "John I can't read this ... who did you see?"

His response, "Oh ... that was (patient name) - the heart in bed 4xx"

You gotta laugh ...

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

If you go to MAPS or APS healthcare website they have ICD-9 cross walk with the DSM-IV. The DSM-IV doesn't really help coders too much but the physicians are so used to coding from the DSM-IV that they don't really want to bother with the ICD-9. The best thing to do have a spread sheet of all the dx that could be used, when I used to work for a doctors office we had a superbill that had all the dx and extra space if they chose something else and just circled the dx codes that they wanted to use or write down the codes, most of the therapists knew the codes off hand.