Wiki DSM vs ICD 9

PVAzCPC

Best answers
I am confused by DSM vs ICD 9 dx codes for child sexual abuse.

DSM says to use 995.53 if the patient is the victim and to use V61.21 if patient is the perp.

It has always been my understanding that ICD 9 995.53 is for current, recent or active abuse; and V61.21 for history of child abuse (Counseling for victim of).

Can anyone help clear this up for me? Also, why does ICD9 call it "Counseling for..." rather than "History of..." like they do for hx of, say, tobacco use?

:confused:

Thanks for your time!

There are separate codes for history and counseling. Use the history code just as you would any history code. Use the counseling code if the reason for the encounter is counseling. There are separate counseling codes for the victim and the perpetrator. Use the E code as a supplemental code to identify the relationships of the perpetrator, along with an assault E code, as needed.

V15.41 History of physical abuse
V61.21 Counseling for victim of child abuse
V62.83 Counseling for perpetrator of physical/sexual abuse
995.53 Child sexual abuse
995.54 Child physical abuse
E967.x Perpetrator of child and adult abuse

Hope this helps!

There are separate codes for history and counseling. Use the history code just as you would any history code. Use the counseling code if the reason for the encounter is counseling. There are separate counseling codes for the victim and the perpetrator. Use the E code as a supplemental code to identify the relationships of the perpetrator, along with an assault E code, as needed.

V15.41 History of physical abuse
V61.21 Counseling for victim of child abuse
V62.83 Counseling for perpetrator of physical/sexual abuse
995.53 Child sexual abuse
995.54 Child physical abuse
E967.x Perpetrator of child and adult abuse

Hope this helps!

Since I am coding for psychiatry, most of all these patients would qualify for the counseling codes, unless the abuse was very recent or actually current. Thank you for your help! :)

Irene,fiscal tech

I just was told by an insurance company that the code 995.53 is no longer a valid code as of 7/1/13. Is this true?
Thank you