Wiki dual goretex patch

ssavage

New
Best answers
I am new to cardiothoracic coding and need advise. I have a physician that has used unlisted 32999 for billing dual goretex patch and the assistant surgeon has billed same with an 82/59 modifier. My question is two fold is this something that is billed separately and if an assistant is present does he also bill? :confused: thank you all for any advise

I am new to cardiothoracic coding and need advise. I have a physician that has used unlisted 32999 for billing dual goretex patch and the assistant surgeon has billed same with an 82/59 modifier. My question is two fold is this something that is billed separately and if an assistant is present does he also bill? :confused: thank you all for any advise

It depends on the procedure but for the most part the surgery codes in the 30000 section can be billed with a Co-surgeon (62), Assistant surgeon (80) and Physician Assistant (AS). The 82 is also for an Assistant surgeon but only when qualified resident surgeon not available. Did they mean to use 80 instead?

Do you have encoder pro? If you do, put in your code(s) then look at modifier for that code - it will tell you what modifier(s) are allowed.

Just a couple of examples. In CT surgery I can bill for the PA when she does Valve repairs and CABGS but I can't code her for pacemaker's or ICD's. Another example, EVAR's I can bill 34802 and 34812 with a 62 for co-surgeon but not with 34825. So it really depends on the code.