Wiki DX code for gangrenous gallbladder with acute cholecystitis AND Cholelithiasis

llprine

New
Best answers
I am looking for the DX codes to use for patient with Acute cholecystitis, gangrenous gallbladder and cholelithiasis and hydrops. The notes states not to use 575 codes with 574

yes I have been using 574.0x, but does that include gangrenous gallbladder and hydrops? You see gangrenous under 575.0 and hydrops under 575.3 but also with a note not to use 575 codes with 574 codes. So my question is does 574.0x include grangrene and hydrops? Thanks

you code only the acute conditions, 575.xx not the abnormal condition 574.xx that is why there is an exclusion note.
so you can use the 575.0 and the 575.3

After reviewing the codes further, I see 574.0x gives examples of what is included in cholelithiasis with also acute cholecystitis. Code 575.0 gives examples of what is included in acute cholecystitis (including gangrenous) but excludes cholelithiasis and notes not to use if cholelithiasis present. So now I understand to use 574.0x for Cholelithiasis with Acute cholecystits which would include gangrenous and use 575.3 for Hydrops