Wiki DX code for salpingectomy for failed TL

ltingle1

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

A patient had a previous bilateral tubal ligation but then had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy in one of her tubes. Our MD removed that tube and then also removed the other tube to prevent future ectopic pregnancy.

I billed 59151 and 58661. Which dx code would I use for the 58661? It is for Medicaid which requires a sterilization consent but she was already sterilized (w/ BTL) so if I use Z30.2 the 58661 would not get paid.

Thanks,
Lauren

If the purposed of the 58661 on the other side was sterilization, then the form should have been signed. There is no option on that form for the physician to indicate the patient is already sterile (as is an option on the hysterectomy consent form). IF the documentation warrants a dx code other than Z30.2, that is what I would use.

If the purposed of the 58661 on the other side was sterilization, then the form should have been signed. There is no option on that form for the physician to indicate the patient is already sterile (as is an option on the hysterectomy consent form). IF the documentation warrants a dx code other than Z30.2, that is what I would use.
Could I use N99.89 for failed tubal ligation?

I've never needed to code it, but my quick look could not find a code specifying failed tubal ligation. N99.89 seems reasonable. I was thinking to also throw on Z98.51 to indicate she had a tubal ligation previously performed, but there is an excludes note for postprocedural complication.