Wiki DX code help please for fungal dermatitis

ChristieH

Best answers
I am coding for infectious disease doc and he wrote fungal dematitis on the superbill. What DX code would you use? I do not have the note back from transcription yet, so don't have any further description or sxs. I was considering using 117.8 or 111.8; leaning more toward the latter. Thanks for your input.

Christie

Hello Christie,

I am new to this coding just got finished with my course and I looked at 111.9 fungus, under Dermatitis category. This is in the 2012 ICD-9-CM Expert for Physicians Manua Volumes 1 & 2, which I just ordered. Is there another type of manual for 2012, because I had had the 2010 ICD-9-CM for Hospitals-Volumes 1,2, and 3. I just wondered if I did not order the wrong manual? Or I would query the physician on this code?

Mary Robinson

I came up with 111.9 unspecified as well. If you can wait for further documentation that would be better to get a more specific code.

Dx code 111.9 is probably a legitimte dx code to use. However, I feel that code category 690 pertains to fungal dermatitis too. For example, Dx 690.10 seborrheic dermatitis is caused by a fungus and elevated blood sugar. It depends on how specific your documentation is.