Wiki DX codes question

meenda

Networker
Best answers
Hi!
When you are coding a specialty such as cardiology PRO FEE services, do you use just the dx codes that the cardiolgist is treating? Or do you add all of the other dx codes also? ie: pt has HTN, COPD, CHF, Ulcer on bottom of foot, generalized anxiety, Neoplasm unsp. breast, CKD, DM and seizure disorder....what dx codes would you put in and what would you leave off? Cardiologist directly addresses HTN, CHF and mentions past MVR & CABG in 2018 . Thanks

For 2021, I would only use the dx that the provider is "addressing" or that affects his/her medical decision making. A cardiologist would certainly be interested in how the HTN or CHF is doing and whether or not the previous surgeries are still successful. If the generalized anxiety or DM, changes how the provider may treat the patient, (what drugs to use or tests to order), then I would add it. There is no credit given for dx not addressed and using the extra dx would not impact the LOS, but gives a clearer picture of the patient on that d/s. If the other dx are just historical or is not impacting the MDM on this visit, I would not use them.

C Collison CPC, CCC. CPPM. CPMA