Wiki dx coding for H. Pylori test, in the absence of symptoms

Colliemom

Expert
Best answers
A patient is seen by a gastroenterologist. Because the patient is from Asia, where there is a higher prevalence of helicobacter pylori infections and gastric cancer, the physician wants to send the patient for an H. Pylori test. This patient has no symptoms, so what dx should we use when ordering the test? Would we use 041.86 - Helicobacter Pylori Infection, even though we are not sure the patient has this dx? The physician/MA are suggesting we use this code, but I don't think it is appropriate - as this test is being done in an outpatient setting. (And I reallize you can only code for the signs and symptoms in the absence of a definitive dx in an office/outpatient setting, unlike an inpatient setting where the guidelines are less stringent.)

I cannot seem to find a screening dx that would fit with this scenario. Does anyone have a suggestion? (We also realize that this test may not be covered by the patient's insurance and will make sure he/she is aware of this before proceeding with the test.)

Last edited: