Wiki Dx Coding-Infectious Disease-Please

KBean2018

Guru
Best answers
How would you code?

Right thumb distal phalanx osteomyelitis with abscess tenosynovitis status post I&D, cultures positive for MRSA
Endocarditis of the tricuspid valve/blood cultures negative
Ongoing IV heroin use
Hepatitis C not on treatment

thank you for your help

What codes did you come up with? If you need help with coding a scenario you need to try and code it yourself then based on what you coded it is easier to help you discover where a mistake was made or if you have the correct codes on you own. Then the next time you run across a similar scenario you will already know how to code it. Know HOW to arrive at a correct code is more valuable than just being given a code. This one is really straight forward and the answers are in the statement you sent.

Codes

Hi mitchellde, I am fairly new to this blog, I did look the codes up and have the answers for comparison. I forgot to list them, so please keep the blog positive. I am not looking for someone to just give me the codes.

M86.8xa
B95.62
M65.841
L02.511
I07.9
B19.20
F11.20

thank you

apologies if I sounded harsh but you need to understand how you arrived at your answers and then how I got mine.
taking them as you listed them:
M86.8xa -- this code does not exist, - was this a typo on your part? Also the answer will change if the patient is documented as being diabetic. Start with key word osteomylitis, then because the documentation is not more specific, you go down to specified type, that is where the index gives you M86.8x- indicating you need an additional character. I don't know where you got the 'a' from as that is not an allowable selection, you must go to the tabular section to select the correct code.

B95.62 - agree this is correct.

M65.841 and L02.511 - I do not agree with these. abscess tenosynovitis, the book has a code for this as one code and you do not need two. If you started with key word tenosynovitis you do not find abscess as a choice but you see specified type then hand and it gives you M65.84-, however the index is not always THE answer but a guide to how or where the answer may be. However if you start with key word abscess then go to tendon (sheath) you will see M65.04- So no need for the addition of L02.511

I07.9 - I disagree with this is a code - key word endocarditis will take you to tricuspid which defaults in the index to I07.9 however it is not documented as rheumatic so I would probably have chosen the nonrheumatic code unless there is more documentation to lead you otherwise.

B19.20 I agree
F11.20 disagree - the provider does not state heroin dependency or disorder just heroin use and so I would code to opiod use.

That is how I would code it, Hopefully you understand why I wanted to see your answers first. I know some will answer these blogs with the answers but I always wonder of what n=benefit is that to you, and how do you know they are right and you are wrong. I am not one that will just post the numeric answer.

Thank you

No problem, I appreciate you taking the time to research the diagnoses codes.

Yes, I did a typo.

M86.8X4
B95.62
M65.041
I36.8
B19.20
F11.90

Thank you, have a great weekend!