DX following Total Knee revision

raidaste

Guru
Best answers
Pt was seen back in office after a total knee revision for a check up. I'm not sure of what DX code to use since this wasn't a TKA. Any help?

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
It is either a V code for a follow up or a V code for aftercare or a code for a surgical complication whichever fits the documentation, it is not however the dx code for the problem the surgical procedure was performed for.

mcnaryk

Guru
Best answers
Pt was seen back in office after a total knee revision for a check up. I'm not sure of what DX code to use since this wasn't a TKA. Any help?
If there was any joint pain or other reason for the visit, code that first. Otherwise, I would just use V43.65 for knee joint replacement status. If there is any instablility or other complication with the joint implant itself, use a Complication code.

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
V43.65 cannot be used first listed it can be used as a secondary code with the V code for aftercare or follow up first listed.

OCD_coder

True Blue
Best answers
V54.81 (primary code) Aftercare following joint replacement
V43.65 (secondary) Organ or tissue replace by other means, knee

A revision is essentially a joint replacement whether partial or complete. You would code a patient post-TKA the same as a revision as there are technically no "revision" ICD-9 codes.