Wiki dx for kidney donor

mluongo

Best answers
I work in Home Health care and a patient went in to the hospital to donate
a kidney. I only see a V code for this but in my forms (Oasis-C) I cannot use a V code as an inpatient code. Any suggestions on what code would be appropriate?

You have to use the V code...the patient has no 'condition' or disease. They're simply status kidney donor (V59.4). That your software won't "accept it" is unfortunate, but you shouldn't issue a diagnosis for a condition the patient doesn't have.

In fact, 1Q 1987 of the Coding Clinic lists V59.4 as an acceptable principal diagnosis in the inpatient setting.

Coding Clinic Nov/Dec 1984 indicates that this is the appropriate code to use for admission to the hospital for the sole purpose of donating an organ.

Even though as a HHA, you are performing aftercare (V26.22) for acquired absence of kidney (V45.73), you're still in the same boat with your software.

It wouldn't be dorrect (or ethical) to code otherwise. Can you contact your software vendor and learn of any workarounds?

You are correct in stating that I cannot use a dx for the donor that does not exsist. I have contacted my IT dept. to see how we can proceed.
Thanks for your input