Wiki Dx for LBBB

kvogel03

Guru
Best answers
Hello everyone,

So, providers are now not taking the unspecified codes. For LBBB block I would use I44.7 it is unspecified. I am having a hard time figuring out what is another good code to use that would be specified to use for LBBB. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kayla

Query your doctor for a more specific diagnosis. We had the same issue with the new atrial fibrillation codes. Docs were not used to specifically indicating what type (Longstanding persistent atrial fibrillation, Other persistent atrial fibrillation, Chronic atrial fibrillation, unspecified, Permanent atrial fibrillation). We also have to ask the docs occasionally when their reports show no "billable" diagnosis for us to use. They usually can specify and generate a billable CPT. If not, well, service is free of charge!

Hello everyone,

So, providers are now not taking the unspecified codes. For LBBB block I would use I44.7 it is unspecified. I am having a hard time figuring out what is another good code to use that would be specified to use for LBBB. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kayla
I44.7 is the correct code for LBBB if that it all that is documented. What do you mean by 'providers are not taking the unspecified codes' - what providers and and for what reason? Unspecified codes are valid codes and should be perfectly acceptable if no additional information is available about a particular condition. Sometimes a physician simply doesn't have any more information to enable you to assign a more specific code.

I agree with Thomas. When "unspecified" appears in the names of codes, it does not mean it is an unspecified code. The spirit of ICD 10 in requiring specificity, is that when there is a clearer diagnosis, the providers are required to use that. The ICD 10 codes in the books are meant to be a guide. I had queried our physician about the varying levels of atrial fibrillation - he explained that when they went to medical school, these terms are not the same as what is in the ICD 10 book. We have to be mindful that the medical records are primarily meant to be a communication between providers to guide the patients' therapies - not purely a documentation for us coders to be able to extract from. We have had a coder who would be so hardnosed and demand the physician follow the ICD 10 diagnosis codes in the book and it didn't work out very well due to the fact that medical professionals follow the dictum and protocol of their training - not the ICD 10 book!

Hi
I agree with Thomas and Heartyoga! Unspecified diagnosis codes are here for a reason and sometime used because the true medical problem is not known by clinician at time of treatment . Each patient's medical story is different & we code what doc tells us. I think it is sad when all dx. codes are unspecified on final dx. assessment list but the documentation written proves otherwise or more details given. it is up to the coder to abstract the dx if more detailed if in same dx block and on the medical record for the day's treatment. For instance; docs will enter in unspecific leg pain. The med documentation states right leg pain. As a coder I abstract the correct dx code since more detailed in the documentation of right leg pain. Or the doc says pt. smoking 10 cigs a day, but enters Z72 dx code, current smoker; then we change to F17.200 since means the same but more detailed.
I hope this info sharing helps:)
Lady T:cool: