Wiki Dx for male sterilization consultation

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: Z30.2

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Encounter for sterilization

Block: Persons encountering health services in circumstances related to reproduction (Z30-Z3A)

Details: Encounter for sterilization

Guidelines: Factors influencing health status and contact with health services (Z00-Z99)

Note: Z codes represent reasons for encounters. A corresponding procedure code must accompany a Z code if a procedure is performed. Categories Z00-Z99 are provided for occasions when circumstances other than a disease, injury or external cause classifiable to categories A00-Y99 are recorded as 'diagnoses' or 'problems'. This can arise in two main ways:
(a) When a person who may or may not be sick encounters the health services for some specific purpose, such as to receive limited care or service for a current condition, to donate an organ or tissue, to receive prophylactic vaccination (immunization), or to discuss a problem which is in itself not a disease or injury.
(b) When some circumstance or problem is present which influences the person's health status but is not in itself a current illness or injury.

For more details on Z30.2 , ICD-10 Code for Encounter for sterilization , visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/

michelleaapc2012

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Amerigroup-TN recently denied a claim that was billed as 99213 with dx Z30.2 , desire for sterilization, because the TC Ash sterilization consent form was not submitted. The representative I spoke with said the claim was denied because the form was not submitted as required. I explained that this was just the initial visit (consultation) and the consent form will be submitted with the claim for the procedure, CPT 55250. The rep. said DX Z30.2 is inappropriate for this visit or consultation and should only be used with the procedure, CPT 55250. What would be the appropriate DX code then? That is the only reason the patient presented to the office, to discuss and schedule a vasectomy.

Best answers
hi,

I code vas consults/procedures nearly every week.

For consults I use z30.09
for Vas z30.2
semen analysis z98.52

hth :)

CodingKing

True Blue
Best answers
I was going to say z30.09 earlier but didn't want to be wrong. Some of the contraceptive stuff didn't seem to map well.