Wiki E code question

harrpc

Best answers
I am a coding/billing student currently learning E coding. I am having difficulty understanding when to use and not to use activity codes (E001-E030) and E
external cause status codes (E000). Guidelines I.C.19.j and I.C.19.K both state that unspecified codes should not be used if activity/status is not stated.

Guideline I.C.19.a.8) states: Activity and external cause status codes are assigned following all causal (intent) codes. Does this guideline mean that if the intent is assault, suicide etc. that these unspecified codes need to be used even if the status and activity are not known?

Does anyone have clear instructions for when to use and not to use these codes? Thank you for any help with this.

E codes should be used whenever there is an injury diagnosis (8XX.XX or 9XX.XX). You code first the occurrence (ie fall from furniture), then the place of occurrence and finally the activity.

I hope this helps!

ICD Guideline states "An E code from categories E800-E999 may be used with any code in the range of 001-V91, which indicates
an injury, poisoning, or adverse effect due to an external cause". which means with all codes we can use E codes, and the status and activity E codes, we should assign only if specifically documented. Unspecified status and activity should not be reported.

Thara L CPC H