Wiki E CODES for Burn and Wounds

rconstant

New
Best answers
Good Day All......

I have a dilemma with e-codes and burns/wounds. What E-code should be used when the patient has hidradenitis outbreaks? There is no external cause for it. It is systemic. Should the code E000.8 be used? I did not think so because that is a work status code and the guidelines state if work status is not documented that range of codes should not be used. Any and all help appreciated. I believe that if there is a systemic cause for an open wound, and cellulitis/abscess is not docuemented, the E-codes should not apply.

you do not need an e-code for a non injury but then you should not be using a wound code for a non injury either, what code are you using for the hydradenitis?

705.83.....but provider will say open wound not cellulitis or abscess.....should i be using those codes prior to 705.83 because they are the manifest? This provider wants ecodes on everything

Many times the only dx is open wound.....not ulcer burn or lesion....often the dx wil vary from provider to provider and visit to visit. Seems to me that they need to be consitent and accurate

It is not an open wound from the definition of the wound codes which are specific to injuries. You need to look at the chapter the codes are located in, the wound codes are in the chapter for injury and poisonings.