Wiki E Codes

ktrial

Best answers
I need help on the following scenario regarding the E code:

I know the E code describes the nature of the injury but does the MD need to have it on his claim.

Patient goes to chiropractor after an auto accident for treatment. The chiropractor wants the patient to have a physical before he treats the patient. The patient goes to the MD for the physical – does the MD need to use the E code when filing his claim. He is not treating the patient for the injury he is just doing the physical before the chiropractor will treat the patient.

With proper documentation from the chiropractor in regards to a referral should the MD code this as a consult and use dx V72.85

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

E code

It depends now how MD is documenting this service.

1.He may either do a physical and say that filled up preop papers.

2. Do this visit as straight preop service.

I think choice two is good from reimbursement point.Second way E code will play a role if he address that.

Thx

tuliptulip

Thank you for the quick response.

MD does not want to use the E code. The chiropractor will be treating the patient for the injury and there is no preop. The chirpractor is requesting a physical first before he treats the patient through manipulation and physical therapy. MD is only doing the physical which is why he wants to use the consult code and let the chiropractor use the E code.

Is this appropriate? thanks.