Wiki E&m 2013

Coder708

Best answers
Hello,

Had a question since the wording of the 2013 E&M has changed to "physicians and other qualified health care professionals " Would we still have to bill I2 if a NP see's patient?

No

Assuming "l2" means level 2...no, any service that is rendered by any provider, be it a physician or NPP should be coded to the appropriate level based on the documentation. So if an NP provided service to a new patient that meets 99204 criteria, is properly documented and meets medical necessity, then that is how it should be coded.

L5, S1 herniated disk

Hi,

I would really, really appreciate if someone could help me with this one, that I'm totally bananas with. I am new at coding. Not sure how to code traumatic L5, S1 herniated disk. I am able to find code 722. 2, but not sure, because there is also 722.11 (Displacement of thoracic intervertebral disc without myelopathy. If I choose 722.11, then what do I use for S1?Please, help :eek:

Last edited:
Assuming "l2" means level 2...no, any service that is rendered by any provider, be it a physician or NPP should be coded to the appropriate level based on the documentation. So if an NP provided service to a new patient that meets 99204 criteria, is properly documented and meets medical necessity, then that is how it should be coded.

Sorry I was referring to Incident 2 guidelines. Can we now use a NPP or PA as rendering for a new patient ?

You have always been able to bill new patient's (as long as it is within the state scope of practice), you just have to bill under the NPP's NPI number and not the physician.