Wiki E/M 99214 code with add-on psychotherapy code 90833

EBRC17632

New
Best answers
Hello, I'm trying to understand when would a provider need to bill an E/M code 99214 with 90833? I know the E/M 99214 code but what I don't understand is when 90833 would be needed with E/M code. Examples would help. Thanks in advance.

For example if you provider is primary care and has integrated a behavioral health team on site, while they are in office they also have an appointment with your behavior health team for a face to face timed visit. The patient had medical e/m visit and BH visit not by a psychologist. This is a way to also bill for BH qualified professionals who are trying to get the hours to be credentialed. The PCP is still able to bill as the supervising provider for the claim. Hope this helps!

For example if you provider is primary care and has integrated a behavioral health team on site, while they are in office they also have an appointment with your behavior health team for a face to face timed visit. The patient had medical e/m visit and BH visit not by a psychologist. This is a way to also bill for BH qualified professionals who are trying to get the hours to be credentialed. The PCP is still able to bill as the supervising provider for the claim. Hope this helps!
Can you provide a scenario visit when a provider is billing 99214 and 90833?

90833 add-on code would be used when there was psychotherapy done by the rendering provider in addition to the E&M service. There needs to be separately identified note with start and stop times indicated and this time does not count towards the E&M level (in fact, using MDM for the level is required by some payers). When psychotherapy is done by a different QHP who bills under their own NPI, you should not use the add-on code but do separate claims.

Some payers have their own rules. For example, Medicaid in the state I work in (IN) allows separate billing (no add-on code) using the supervising physician for the therapist with a provider level modifier (AJ, for example for LCSW). So, for example, it could be 90834-AJ on a separate claim even though the supervising is the same as the provider who saw the client for an E&M service.

I am not familiar with the scenario given for an integrated behavioral health team.

I have a question about 90833 being billed on Pro-Fee side, but it is INPATIENT PSYCH where the patient is located. Physician or NP sees the patient and states 90833 with 17 mins as documentation for Psych Therapy. I want to give credit where it is due, but I am new to Coding for Psych
EM services being billed are 99222-99233