Wiki E/M and DME?? NEED ASAP!!

anne32

Guru
Best answers
This is probably going to sound stupid, but if a patient comes in for an office visit and is given a blood pressure monitor, can we bill the insurance for an office visit and the blood pressure monitor? For example, 99213 and A4670?
NEED TO KNOW ASAP!!!

I would think that yes, depending on your payer contract and whether or not you have a DME supplier number, you can bill the BP monitor to the insurance. But again, you probably have to have a DME supplier number, and it has to be in your contract. I am assuming that this was given to the patient to keep and not just a loaner for a specified time period.

I am basing this on my GYN experience with other DME equipment, as I do not code for your field, but I believe that the same rules apply. If in doubt, contact the payer.

hope this helps,
Elizabeth Field, CPC, CPPM

I would also assume this wasn't "given" to the provider. I know some offices are given BP monitors & Glucose monitors to share with their patients. In this case, it would not be appropiate to bill for the BP monitor. I do agree with Elizabeth's response.