Wiki e/m and ICD-10 codes for Prescription and precautions to take for travel outside US

MHira

Best answers
This New Pt. comes to get prescriptions for travelling outside country. Expanded history, Detailed Exam, Moderate MDM. Patient got Tdap shot, Vivotif ( live oral vaccine), and prescriptions order for Cipro, Omnicef, Malarone to take along during travel. Dr. discussed vaccines, antibiotics and travel illness and medications.

For e/m code
would I code as new patient (99202) or consultation e/m code (99242) along with 90715, 90471 ?

and what would be ICD-10 codes?
I'm looking at Z76.89 or Z71.9 along with Z23 or there is any other code?

Thanks
Meena

I would advise against billing a new patient or consultation code for this service. Those are 'sick' or 'problem' visit codes that require a chief complaint. What you're describing is really a preventive care service. I don't know of a code for a this, but most payers do not cover travel-related evaluation or counseling and travel medicine clinics I'm familiar with always require that this be paid by the patient. If the travel is work-related, the patient may submit it to their employer for reimbursement. The vaccine itself may or may not be covered by the patient's preventive care benefit though.