Wiki E/M Auditor Exam

Best answers
I will be taking the E/M Auditor exam in December. The guidelines for the exam state I will need my ICD-9, CPT, HCPCs books and one reference tool of my choice. Can anyone tell my what tool they brought with them to this exam. I don't want to show up with something and then be told that I can't use it. Thanks for your help.:)

I just took this exam and was told beforehand that you can use either the 95 or 97 Documentation Guidelines as a reference tool. Good luck

Beanster--what company are you taking the E/M auditor certification exam through? I'm looking into getting certified as an auditor.

I've heard that you can bring the 1995/1997 guidelines as a reference. Best of luck :)

You are to bring the 95 and 97 guidelines for the exam, but you are also allowed to bring one more reference guide of your choice as well.

A dictionary?

I brought my Mosby's Medical Dictionary and found it to be very helpful during the exam.

I'm stunned that you were allowed to use a Medical Dictionary. That was definitely NOT allowed when I took the CPC-E/M exam. But perhaps you are talking about a different company's credentialing exam.

For the AAPC E/M Auditor specialty you will need BOTH 1995 and 1997 guidelines / audit tools. The rules do state that you may bring one other reference source of your choosing, but I would interpret that as being something specifically related to E/M coding. In my experience, you really don't need anything beyond the CPT, ICD9, HCPCS and 95 & 97 guidelines.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M

I am in total agreement with FTessaBartels on all counts - what tools are necessary for the E/M exam - and the fact that someone allowed a dictionary!?!?

Congratulations!!!!

I am planning to take my E/M Auditing exam next year...Was the test hard? What type of questions did they have?

dscoder74 :)

Congratulations!

Thanks to everyone who responded. Just in case you were wondering.....I passed!!! I got my results today.

Congratulations!!! You should celebrate :)
What company did you take the test through? What books/tools did you end up bringing?

E/M Specialty exam

Took the exam on 12/13 found out today I passed. I only used my CPT, ICD9 and 95 and 97 guidelines. Make sure you study teaching physician guidlines and accronyms.:D

Can anyone tell me if the AAPC E/M test is multiple choice or not?

Changes for 2009:

Specialty credentials are stand-alone certifications with no requirement to hold a CPC®, CPC-H® or CPC-P® credential (please note the name change for credentials listed in the table below)
Exams more aptly measure preparedness for “real world” coding by being operative/patient-note based

Exams are 5 1/2 hours in length (1 free retake is included)
150 multiple choice questions (proctored)
Exam preparation is available through online operative/patient-note based distance learning practicum
$245.00/specialty credential examination

certification exam

Hi everyone. I am planning to take my CEMC next month. I am very familiar with ICD9 , EM but not NCCI nor HCPCS . Can someone advice? What do I need to study for the test?

test

Hi everyone. I am planning to take my CEMC next month. I am very familiar with ICD9 , EM but not NCCI nor HCPCS . Can someone advice? What do I need to study for the test?