Wiki E&M billed with EMG/NCV

PKOHUT

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Can anyone advise me whether or not I can bill an E&M same day,same provider with an EMG/NCV?
And due to the decrease in pymt for NCVs, Can a technician under the neurologist's supervision perform the tests?

Yes, an e/m can be billed along with an EMG/NCV as long as there is documentation to support it. You would also need to add the 25 modifier to this. I believe a tech can perform the test as long as the neurologist supervises and interpt. the data.

If the patient is scheduled for an EMG/NCV, how can you bill for an E&M? I understand if the patient is seen and then the provider decides to have an E&M done or the E&M is done and then the provider sees the patient but if the patient is only scheduled for an EMG/NCV, I would think that an E&M could not be billed for, correct?

If there is another problem discussed with the neurologist, other than the reason for the EMG, that would be considered a seperately identifiable service, and is a billable E/m. Or, if the patient came in for an office visit and during the course of the visit it was decided that an EMG would be needed, then I believe an office visit would be approriate (depending on documentation of course) along with the EMG. If only the EMG was performed, and that is the only reason they came in, then yes, only the EMG/NCV would be billed for.

I have a question, any help would be greatly appreciated! We have a not registered EMG tech that does the Nerve conduction studies, and our doctor interprets it. However our doctor is billing all services as if he also did the technical part because the tech is not registered and he supervised it. Is this normal? is this ok...?